Do you get enough fish in your diet? (If you don’t enjoy the taste of fish, keep reading for a healthy alternative to eating fish).
4 Major Benefits of Eating Fish
There are many evidence-based reasons to eat a diet rich in fish. One reason is that fish supply high-quality protein and many vitamins and minerals. Fatty fish – such as salmon, mackerel, herring, sardines, lake trout, and tuna – are particularly rich in fat-based nutrients like vitamin D.
Here are 4 other major health benefits of eating fatty fish:
1. Heart Health– The omega-3 fatty acids in fish are important for improving cardiovascular health, promoting healthy triglyceride status, and supporting healthy blood pressure regulation.
2. Mood Support– Numerous studies have shown that omega-3 fatty acids in fish can help improve mood, self-esteem, and coping with distraction and stress.
3. Improves Attention– Omega-3s have been shown to reduce stress and anxiousness, and improve attention and behavior in children.
4. Brain Boost– An important reason to eat fish is because of its omega-3 fatty acids help preserve memory and protect brain circulatory function.
Facts About Fatty Acids
Fish oils are oily fats found in fish, particularly cold-water fish, and in marine oils from other sea life such as krill. These oils are rich sources of functional omega-3 fatty acids.
Our cells are equipped with membranes, thin sheets of molecules, that manage most of our life functions. We need a variety of fatty acids for our cell membranes to function, including omega-3s.
The two most studied omega-3 fatty acids are eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). These are major building blocks for the membrane systems and are needed for a diverse range of essential life functions.
EPA + DHA
Each of our nearly 30 trillion cells needs EPA and DHA. The only practical way to ensure we get the amounts of EPA and DHA we need is through foods or supplements.
Unfortunately, the modern diet has an unhealthy balance of fatty acids: we get an abundance of saturated and omega-6s and not nearly enough omega-3s. Also, most of the omega-3s we do get are not long-chain and must be converted to EPA, which is less than 5 percent efficient; then EPA must be converted to DHA, which is an even less efficient conversion. As a result of this complicated process, most people worldwide have poor nutritional status of EPA and DHA.
Numerous surveys indicate populations that don’t consume a lot of seafood (such as the U.S.) don’t get nearly enough EPA and DHA from their diet. Since plant foods don’t supply them, the main dietary sources of EPA and DHA are cold-water fish.
Certain commercially available cold-water fish, such as salmon, tuna, and sardines, are sources of actual, preformed EPA and DHA. Avoid farmed salmon (which are much higher in omega-6 fatty acids and often carry toxins) and try to get salmon and other cold-water fish from Alaska, the Arctic Circle, or the Antarctic, where the ocean waters are the least contaminated.
Purity and Safety
While the desired omega-3 fatty acids reside in the fatty tissue of fish, so can environmental toxins. Oil derived from these tissues often contains high levels of these impurities. That’s why it’s dangerous to consume fish caught in ocean zones that are known to be contaminated.
Fish (especially longer-lived species, and higher-level predators that consume other fish) will bioaccumulate heavy metals such as mercury, arsenic, cadmium, and lead that originated from industrial sources and reached the body of water in which they feed. These contaminants often end up in the flesh of the fish, as well as in the oil derived from such flesh.
In addition to heavy metals, there are also other toxic compounds that bioaccumulate in fish. Some of the most toxic chemicals known to science, including hundreds of different PCBs (polychlorinated biphenyls), PBBs (polybrominated biphenyls), dioxins and furans, can bioaccumulate in fish and have been linked to problems with the functioning of the brain, liver, immune system, endocrine, and reproductive systems, and essentially all the organs.
Considering the widespread contamination of seafood by mercury and other toxins, many experts advise that taking a purified fish oil supplement could be a smart choice. For those concerned over the impurities in fish or who don’t enjoy the taste of fish, BrainMD offers an advanced liquid omega-3 fatty acid supplement…
Liquid Fish Oil Supplement: Omega-3 Power Squeeze
Omega-3 Power Squeeze is a pleasant-tasting fish oil liquid emulsion, customized for children and adults seeking an alternative to taking large capsules. It delivers 910 mg EPA and 590 mg DHA for a total of 1500 mg per serving.
Why You Should Try Omega-3 Power Squeeze:
- Quality Sourcing – Sourced from wild-caught fish species (mainly anchovies) that are pelagic (don’t feed on the bottom and therefore pick up fewer contaminants), the fish oil in Omega-3 Power Squeeze undergoes the most advanced purification processes in the supplement industry.
- Ultra-safe – The ultra-pure fish oil in Omega-3 Power Squeeze is extracted in its natural triglyceride form from sustainably harvested fish. The fish oil is tested by independent labs to exclude over 250 toxic contaminants, heavy metals, and other substances. It is maintained fresh throughout the verification process and then is gently purified and emulsified for better absorption and taste.
- Well Absorbed – The advanced emulsification technology behind Omega-3 Power Squeeze makes it better absorbed than standard fish oils. However, since individuals differ in their absorption and utilization of EPA and DHA, it would be prudent to measure your Omega-3 Index every 4-5 months and increase your daily intake as needed to cross the 8% threshold.
- Pleasant Tasting – One serving of this citrus-flavored emulsion gives the body at least 5 times more EPA and DHA than a serving of conventional fish or krill oil, without the fishy smell/taste or unpleasant reflux problems experienced with many fish oils.
- Healthy Pregnancy – Not only is the EPA and DHA in Omega-3 Power Squeeze safe, but it’s also absolutely vital for a healthy pregnancy and for breastfeeding. Also, the US National Academies recommend omega-3s for toddlers and older children. Children aged 1-3 can take a half tablespoon every other day.
- Allergy-Free – Omega-3 Power Squeeze is free from dairy, gluten, sugar, corn, soy, nuts, eggs, yeast, and artificial colorings or flavorings. It is also non-GMO.
Getting adequate amounts of EPA and DHA is a great way to improve overall brain and body function and well-being. The ultra-pure EPA and DHA omega-3 fatty acids in this well absorbed, proprietary fish oil liquid promote positive mood, healthy attention, and whole-body health.
At BrainMD, we’re dedicated to providing the highest purity nutrients and standardized herbal ingredients to support your physical, mental, and overall well-being. For more information about Omega-3 Power Squeeze and our full list of supplements, please visit us at BrainMD.